The following information is taken from the Government of Canada website.
The labour rights and responsibilities of about 12,000 enterprises and 820,000 of their employees are defined by the Canada Labour Code. These employees account for six percent of all Canadian workers.
If you are employed by one of the following businesses and industries, you are more than likely working in a federally regulated sector:
- marine shipping, ferry and port services
- air transportation, including airports, aerodromes and airlines
- railway and road transportation that involves crossing provincial or international borders
- canals, pipelines, tunnels and bridges (crossing provincial borders)
- telephone, telegraph and cable systems
- radio and television broadcasting
- grain elevators, feed and seed mills
- uranium mining and processing
- businesses dealing with the protection of fisheries as a natural resource
- many First Nation activities
- most federal Crown corporations
- private businesses necessary to the operation of a federal act
If you would like to know more about whether this Supreme Court decision has an effect on your employment rights, please contact us.